Discover more from 🤷🏽♂️Not My Problem
I was always afraid of thrifting
Till I found this hack
Today’s eco snapshot👇🏽
Not afraid of thrifting anymore
Startup of the week: MIRET
5 brands that sustainably stand out
Some good news from around the world
3 ways I can help you on your sustainability journey
👕 My thrifting hack
Over the past few years, as I started writing and understanding the world of fast fashion and sustainability, I have consciously reduced the number of clothes I purchase.
I focus on buying clothes that are of good quality and have a timeless style. For the longest time, I have also considered thrifting or buying second-hand clothes, but I have always felt overwhelmed by the idea of purchasing used clothing.
Every time I went to a thrift store, it felt like a treasure hunt. I realized that I don’t have the patience to browse through rows of clothes.
However, when I wanted to buy a hoodie recently, I decided to give thrifting another chance. I visited a few stores and again felt overwhelmed and disappointed, almost deciding to buy a new hoodie instead.
But then I discovered a charming little store called Fevers Vintage (check it out if you’re in Toronto).
The best part about it was that it only had a few carefully selected pieces. This made it much easier for me to browse and I ended up finding a hoodie in great condition.
So, my thrifting hack would be to seek out smaller, more curated stores that won't overwhelm you.
Have you tried thrifting in the past and found any helpful tips or tricks that work for you?
Here’s a crazy fast-fashion fact that I recently learned about:
Answer at the end of the newsletter. No one (including me) can see your response so feel free to vote 😉
✨ Startup of the week
Soleful consequences…The footwear industry has a negative impact on the planet. Sneakers are often mass-produced using harmful materials like synthetic textiles, synthetic rubber, and plastics. When these sneakers are discarded, they contribute to the production of microplastics that pollute our environment and water sources, affecting our food. Leather also has its own issues, with toxic processes that pollute waterways.
Sustainable steps…Brothers Hrvoje and Domagoj Boljar wanted to change that. They inherited a family footwear business and turned it around into a sustainable footwear company, MIRET. It is a sustainable alternative to traditional footwear.
It is the only sneakers in the world to hold the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX label for the entire product- certifying that it contains zero toxic substances
It is made from New Zealand wool, natural rubber latex and hemp.
97% of its materials are natural and bio-based and it is planning to replace the remaining 3% soon.
Leave a greener footprint…MIRET sneakers are crafted in Croatia and the entire manufacturing process minimizes the usage of synthetic materials. They are stepping into the future of sustainable footwear, one eco-friendly step at a time.
✅ Brands that sustainably stand out
🇨🇦 Etee- Dish soap concentrate sold in compostable packaging
🇺🇸 Thousand Fell- Making sneakers from recycled bottles, natural rubber & food waste
🇨🇦 Frate- Preventing online returns from ending up in landfills
🇮🇳 Arani Ecosteps- Fighting single-use plastic by redesigning personal care and household products
🇳🇱 Mended- Making clothes repairing as convenient as buying new ones
Get access to 100+ sustainable brands like these by upgrading to a paid subscription (costs only $50/year)
😹 Some Good News
🚭 Vape-ocalypse: Single-use vapes face ban over child addiction concerns
👩🏼⚖️ Fossil fallout: California sues oil companies over downplayed risks
🦏 Rhino revival: 2,000 southern white rhinos set to roam free in the wild
🌎 3 ways I can help you
📞 Interested in chatting about sustainability and climate change? Book a call here
✍🏼 Want to be featured in this newsletter and in a LinkedIn post? Submit your story
💁🏼 If you’re a planet-friendly brand, I can help you with your blogs, newsletters, case studies, and whitepapers
Click that 💚 if this added some value to you.
Have a great weekend and see you next week😊